Tuesday 15 May 2012

Time

I designate a set time for my students and I to blog, Wednesday at 10:30am through until 11:10am. During this time we all sit in front of our computers and madly blog. I have fallen into this trap. My aim is to always complete my blog within this 40 minute space.
Last week I reflected on this blogging process. I believe that this time constraint limits and affects the quality of what I write. I am in such a rush to get this blog written and published that I do not give myself enough time to re-read, edit and check on the quality and depth of what I have written. Many of the blogs that I read are thought provoking and full of depth and this is what I want to achieve with my written blog.
How do I achieve this? Time.
We all wish we could have more time. Time that can be spent with our families, time that can be spent pursuing the things we love in life, perhaps even more time spent in our jobs to ensure we can produce and work at a higher standard.
Creating this extra time is difficult. Who has extra time in our busy lives? I look at my usual week day schedule: Rise at 6:00am, leave for work at 6:55am returning home anytime between 4:45pm and 6:30pm. Dinner with family follows and before getting children ready for bed and the accompanying bedtime story which we conclude around 7:45pm. After this is either catch up on some work or relax on the couch and talk with my wife. I am generally in bed around 10:00pm. Somewhere in this busy schedule I try to ensure some form of exercise.
Where can I get the extra time that will allow me to spend on certain pursuits such as being able to edit my blog more carefully, check my Google Reader feeds or my twitter account. This remains the challenge. I don't want to sacrifice my family or exercise time and I have to do my job to the best of my ability.
I know it is very anti-social but I tend to spend recess and lunch times at my desk. Just having this extra time does allow me to catch up on some extra work. Just doing something like this practise does allow me the extra time that I need to just.....live.

No comments:

Post a Comment