Thursday 17 January 2013

An Unknown Educator in Wagga

Next week sees me head out into the educational world of Wagga Wagga, tail firmly between my legs, in search of teaching work for 2013. It has been a very different, and humbling, experience to be without a teaching job at this stage of January. I have always prided myself on my ability to secure positions at good schools including securing a job directly out of university. This is a bizarre feeling. I did apply for a few positions in late in 2012 and was devastated to not have even been shortlisted for these jobs and to not have been given the opportunity to state in the interview process why I would have been more than capable.
So casual and relief teaching it is for me for the start of 2013. I am now faced with the dilemma that I am unknown in the schools of Wagga Wagga. I do not want to just be a name on a list that the relief teaching coordinator comes across once all other avenues have been explored. I want to be the first person called to come in and teach.
Next week I am planning on visiting a number of schools to make myself known. I want the powers that be at these schools to know that I have a passion for teaching, a desire to be in a classroom educating, collaborating, learning from and laughing with a group of students. If I didn't want to teach I would not be heading off to visit these schools next week.
What can I bring to a school?
  • 20 years experience teaching in schools in New South Wales, Canberra, Melbourne and Hong Kong.
  • Have achieved my Diploma of Teaching, Bachelor of Education and Master of Education.
  • Initial degree was in the area of Middle School and therefore am qualified to teach in both primary and secondary schools.
  • Have undertaken a number of leadership roles.
  • Heavy involvement in extra curricular activities of school life.
  • Involvement in the wider community through sport and church activities.
  • A passion for education.
  • A depth of knowledge of technology, curriculum and issues affecting schools today.
  • A desire to be involved and contribute to the growth and development of a school.
I am truly hoping someone gives the opportunity in their school. I am confident that I will not let anyone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment