Monday 8 April 2013

Ramblings About the Life of a Casual Teacher

I thought it was about time that I sat down and blogged again. I believe that there is much to tell and many observations that I want to share regarding my life as a casual teacher over the past two months.

Some facts and figures to commence:
· To this date (April 8) I have worked 44 days in eight different schools.
· I have taught everything from Year 11 Advanced Mathematics, Year 12 Family and Community Studies to Kindergarten Mathematics and Year 1 Literacy.
· I have been in the Independent, Catholic and State school systems.

Here are some random opinions and thoughts regarding the life of a casual teacher:

· Like any profession there are days when it absolutely stinks and days when you exult in an educational triumph.
· Some students like to think that you are a pushover as you are a casual. They have been sadly mistaken when it comes to my classroom management skills.
· In the same sense there are times when you feel like a ‘dogs body’, when you are made to do the menial tasks of which most staff members stay well clear.
· I treat every day like a job interview. Being professional in my manner, dress and dealings with both staff and students.
· I have certainly broadened my educational horizons which is certainly one positive to come out of casual teaching.
·  I miss the sense of pastoral care that exists with having a class of your own. You have one day, one lesson, in which to make a connection.
·   It has been wonderful recently for two weeks to have the one class for the entire time. I was able to really get to know the students, understand what their strengths and weaknesses were and therefore I was able to tailor work to meet the needs of the class.
·  Besides the three teaching days of week one there has only been two days of which I have not worked (one of which I was asked to work, but due to moving house, I was not able to teach). The one day where I did not work I absolutely hated as I knew I should be in a classroom or a school where I can make a difference.
·  A casual teacher is locked into the work set. If you don’t teach what is planned there is the chance that a particular school or class will not want you to teach again. There have been times where what I have taught has been plain, sterile and totally uninspiring for the students. I know there are ways that I can make this work far more interesting but I don’t want to take the risk of angering the teacher by not doing what is set. There has been two days where work has not been set and I have loved teaching lessons which I know are both educational and that the students will enjoy. This was also the case with the 2 weeks I have recently spent with the one class. The teacher left a loose outline of topics that needed to be covered and I used this for the basis of the lessons that I planned.
·  I am greatly missing the professional discourse that comes from being a casual teacher. There have been few professional conversations. Maybe it is my paranoia but there often seems to be an attitude from some staff at schools where I teach that obviously there is a reason I am doing casual teaching so there is no need to engage in professional discussions. Thankfully Twitter and Google Reader (unfortunately soon to be extinct) have assisted me in continuing to engage in professional conversations and readings that keep me abreast of what the latest thinking is and actions are in regards to the world of education.
·  It is difficult building relationships with staff as a casual teacher, particularly in my situation where I am new to town. I know very few people. It is an uncomfortable feeling sitting alone in the staff common room waiting for someone to enter into a conversation. Once again the recent two week stint at the one school was superb. I felt comfortable around the staff and became confident enough to initiate banter.
·  The positive comments and feedback have been wonderful and have spurred me on in the knowledge that others are noticing the efforts that I am making in the classroom. My goal was always to be the first person that a school called whenever they needed a casual teacher and I like to think that I have achieved this with a few schools.
·  It has been flattering on days when more than one school has called. It is nice to know that you are in demand, but I have already come to understand that you take the first job that comes your way.
·  One teacher once commented to me that they looked through the window into a class on one occasion and they noticed that I was actually teaching. My jaw nearly dropped. This is what I am employed to do! I am a teacher not a baby sitter or supervisor and wherever possible I am going to teach. Of course Year 11 Advanced mathematics was an area where I was more supervising rather than teaching.
·  I have benefited professionally from the people I have met, the advice they have given and insights offered into schools in the city and what I need to do in order to gain a job in this system.
·  I would suggest that all teachers have a go at casual teaching. What it does is broaden horizons, sharpen skills and snaps you out of any complacency that you may have once had as a full time teacher.
·  I have been very conscious not to go in all guns blazing so to speak particularly with interactions with other staff members. I am experienced but I certainly don’t know it all. My tactic has been often to look, listen and then contribute where I believe it is appropriate.
·  Kids are kids no matter where they attend school. I taught a day in a school in the lowest socio-economic area in the city. People were warning me that this school had a bad reputation.  I had a great day at this school. I found the staff were incredibly dedicated and the students no different to any others I have taught this term.  They have the same strengths and weaknesses, needs and desires as all other children.

I think that is probably about all of the impressions that I have to share at the moment. I hope that the world of casual teaching is something that I am not too familiar with in the future as I strive to find a permanent position in which I can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment