Tuesday 3 May 2011

Day 1



Yesterday was the first day of a new school term. There is usually a cacophony of emotions as students make their way back to school after their break. There are students who would still rather be on holidays (and possibly a teacher, especially after the holiday that I have had), some who can't wait to see their friends again but they all generally share the feeling that they are not in the mood to get working right away.

This is where I come in!

I am of the belief that it is imperative to get students working right away. I start day 1 by asking students what they did in the holidays (usually no more than 10 minutes) before a discussion on current affairs and what is happening in the world (this was quite a long discussion yesterday due to the demise of Osama Bin Laden and the royal wedding). After this it is open books and start working.

Why do I do this?


  • To refocus students.

  • Let them know that holidays are OVER.

  • It is a short term; time cannot be wasted.

  • I have a job to do.

Also homework begins in week 1. This helps reinforce to students that holidays are definitely over and to quickly establish routine again.


I am sure students don't agree with my day 1 theory but I believe it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment