Sunday 1 May 2011

Jordan Easter 2011



I recently celebrated a milestone birthday. I did not want any elaborate party; all I desired was a trip to a destination that I had never been before. I was mulling over Nepal or Sri Lanka when the idea of Jordan entered my mind. After a little bit of research the trip to Jordan was booked.





Now this was in December 2010 before all the events in Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya and Syria took place. It has been a nervous wait to see if Jordan would fall along the same lines. Whilst there have been a number of protests (usually on a Friday) take place there has been nothing major so off to Jordan we flew on April 15th via Bangkok and Dubai.


After spending 10 days in Jordan I must admit that it was truly one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. Every place we visited was outstanding. The Roman ruins of Jerash, Amman the capital city (probably the only so so place on our trip), the Dead Sea (yes one can truly float on this body of water), Madaba, Petra (breathtaking), the deserts of Wadi Rum and finished on the Red Sea in Aqaba.


I was struck by a number of things whilst on the trip. The friendliness of the people was just one area that struck me. Yes there was always people wanting to sell you something but their final words to you would generally be 'Welcome to Jordan". The determination of the people to not let their country go down the same path of other Middle Eastern countries was also evident. Jordanians are very proud of their country and Thailand is the only other country where I have been that loves their King as much as they do. They trust that their King will serve the country in the best possible manner and act in a way that benefits the people.


Unfortunately tourism in Jordan is down 60% due to the issues in other Middle Eastern countries. This is such a pity for the country but also the people who have cancelled trips to this beautiful country.


Jordan is a magical country and this was a trip I will always remember.


















No comments:

Post a Comment